First workshop of the two on the BYOS Foundation. This is NOT a programming course. BYOS is a simplified and structured methodology that non-technical users can learn to build digital solutions to solve real life business problems. The workshop is run in a learning by experience approach, and no technical background is required. In this workshop, we start with a website for an easy entry to BYOS technology, which is an excellent choice to build digital competence. To know more about BYOS, press the following button:
When technical is no longer a short-coming, you can go much much further, and you won't even see where it ends ...
Learn one technology, you can manage both. Start to build your digital competence, and become a master in the digital economy.
Integrate your business with technology, and not to be knocked out of the digital economy.
Building while using is the norm for normal business people in real life. Learn BYOS and start to master the technology and make it your tools.
A system is truly in your ownership only when you can master the technology. Change of minds is only a few clicks away.
To connect with your target clients, you need to follow where they go. It impacts the way you work for now and future, and that's digital economy.
We believe in experiential learning. We combine classrooms, online learning, 1-on-1 online sessions and remote assistance to deliver very non-traditional learning experience.
Digital competence is the survival in the digital economy, and where the world is going. BYOS walk with you for an easy start, and much much more ...
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
This is the first of the two workshops covering the basics of BYOS. To make it easy to start with, we start by building a website where we learn the basics first in an interesting and practical approach. In the second workshop BYOS02, we continue to build a system, which will be more complicated but very practical. These two workshops cover the BYOS Basics to prepare for more advanced workshops or projects in future.
Digital projects should start with a business problem that we want to solve, or a business initiative that we want to achieve. We shall follow this approach, and relates the business rationales back to our digital design and solutions. In this first workshop, digital process, digital marketing and analytics will also be covered because these are common but important business initiatives.
The workshop is run in a learning by experience approach, because it is a training of the logical reasoning for problem solving. You will also touch what's called User Experience (UX) which is nowadays very important in business.
This will be an excellent workshop for new startups, or knowledge management practitioners.
- This is not a programming course. This is a training of applying digital solutions to business problems or initiatives.
- Learning by experience allows going through the logical reasoning behind every digital activity.
- Coverage of digital process, digital marketing, user experience and analytics
- 1-on-1 remote assistance supplement the learning experience like a mentor
IS THIS FOR YOU?
This workshop targets non-technical people. It's for you if you are those:
- who always look for improvements in the way things work
- who is looking for building of digital competence for personal development
- who is looking for digital solutions for existing business problems or initiatives
- who are willing to learn by actions
- who is starting up new business and decide for a manageable platform operation
Please make sure you have the time for hands-on practice before you participate.
It is not necessary to have technical background or knowledge of any programming languages. No prior experience is necessary. Good business sense and experience, and good understanding of business logic are more important. Be open minded, willingness to try, and prepare time for hands-on.
- Learn by experience how business or marketing is operated through a digital platform.
- Understand digital marketing and how it helps your business.
- Learn by practical experience creating digital workflow and interactions with customers.
- Learn basic BYOS skills to enter other BYOS workshops for personal development.
- Learn the basic digital skills for new business startup.
* This workshop is the compulsory prerequisite for entry to the BYOS02 workshop.
The workshop emphasize in learning by experience. is a 50%-50% combination of
- 8 class meetings @ 2.5 hours each, twice a week, where we cover concepts, demonstrations, discussions, problem solving and peer-to-peer appreciations.
- individual hands-on where participants will work on his own system in his own spare time. 1-on-1 remote assistance will be provided when needed.
Separate and independent servers will be provided to each participant. Participants are expected to be prepared for both.
INVESTMENT FOR YOUR FUTURE
This is an experience of digital transformation, probably going to be your game changer. It is an investment for your future. The workshop is designed with around max 8 participants, limited by the 1-on-1 coverage for remote assistance.
REPEAT LEARNING POLICY
All paid participants can repeat their learning of the same workshop free of charge when seats are available. Please do not interfere the progress of the workshop or other people.
Those who are interested in this workshop, self-funded but require financial assistance, can apply for our subsidy program. We try our best to support and help, and hope you will pass on the same spirit too. Please contact us for more details.
ORGANIZATION OR GROUP REGISTRATION
Special arrangement can be made for group registration or on-site training. Please contact us to discuss.
Total 15 class sessions, out of which 50% are 8 x 2.5 hours face-to-face meetings, plus 50% 1-on-1 online sessions for practical hands-on tutorials in your flexi-time arrangement. Participants are expected to work independently for their own assignments in their own time.
In case of public gatherings ban still enforced by the Government, online meetings will be arranged to replace the face-to-face meetings.
|Equipment||Server will be provided for each individual. You just need their own computer and internet access, equipped with webcam and microphone for remote assistance.|
7:00 pm - 9:30 pm, twice a week for face-to-face meeting.
1-on-1 online sessions will be arranged individually for checking of the assignments and answer ad-hoc questions. Duration depends on individual's progress, and should finish within 1 hour.
The Wave, 10/F
(MTR Kwun Tong Station Exit B1)
* change in venue might happen and participants will be notified.
|Language||The language of instructions will be in Cantonese. Special workshops can be arranged if English or Mandarin is desired. Materials will be mainly in English.|
HK$8,000 per seat
|Seats Capacity||The workshop is designed with around max 8 participants in order to provide sufficient and optimal 1-on-1 remote assistance.|
|Registration||Please click here to register for the workshop|
Tel: +852 9889-3449
How to Learn in this Workshop
For maximum gain in this workshop, participants should:
- Relates everything to business logic and business sense. This makes the whole thing meaningful, and makes you and the system successful. We shall co-create the business cases, concepts, needs and requirement together to help us make sense.
- Participate in the reviews, discussions and questions in class and in WA group. Make collaboration as our tools for creativeness and sense-making.
- Hands-on practical system building is the way you learn. Learning is a matter of discovery. Problems you discover in the process is where learning really happens.
- Don't waste time because you'll have a lot to do. Ask and seek assistance when questions arise. Make use of the WA group and the 1-on-1 remote assistance with the workshop facilitator without wait.
General Knowledge and Concepts
- Websites and its role in today's digital world, and rationales behind for business
- Digital marketing and system analytics
- The eco-system of open source, comparisons and future
- Concept of customer experience and why it matters
- The roles and skills of system builder in projects and in organizations
- Basic concept of client-server, cloud computing and content management systems
- Technology & concept of repository and knowledge management
Reviews, key learning, discussions and discoveries will be shared in each meeting.
Basic Skills & Tools for Website Building
- Knowledge and skills for the digital economy
- Basic structure of websites
- Basic skills & tools for this workshop
- Introduction of the technology: applications, history and comparisons, resources
- Installation and Configuration for non-technical builders
- Resources and main components
- Content management and how content are displayed in different types of web pages
- Basic components of a website
- Site structure, content structure and framework: blocks, menus, content & URLs
- Adding power to the system: modules
- Changing the appearance: themes
- Site layouts: banners, carousels & landing pages
- Basics of users, roles & permissions
- Basics on search, taxonomy, indexing & tagging
- Online forms
- Simple integrations: Embedding
- Digital marketing: statistics, analytics, social networks, metadata, SEO, integrations
- Concerns of administrators: user account management, system updates & upgrades, backup
Digital Marketing & Analytics
- Relationship between websites and digital marketing
- About digital marketing, SEO, SEM, CTA, social networks, ...
- Statistics, search history, analytics
- Achievement of marketing
Content is King. Content is the reason for users to access the website, be it for information, for knowledge, for learning, or for promotions, etc. Ability to present content in a proper manner is an important skill for knowledge workers in the digital economy.
- Key knowledge about content editing
- Designing of web pages, graphics
- Tools and online resources
- Each participant will be provided a separate and independent server
- Hands-on system building is a must at their own time arrangement
- 1-on-1 remote assistance will be provided. Participants should make arrangement with the facilitator according to their own convenient time intervals, with the use of phone, WA and Zoom.
This extra bonus workshop does not count into the attendance. The speaker will share his practical experience on digital presence.
Setup for New Business
There are different areas of attention in social digital settings that can bring benefits to new businesses at no cost. These social digital settings are mostly free of charge, but could be helpful in establishing the digital branding and digital presence.
Demonstrations and real experience will be shared, backed by business rationales behind. The objective is to be an extension of the website to other digital social areas. This might be helpful to those who has the intention to setup their own businesses, or to help their organizations to have things setup.
There will be no homework in this bonus workshop, which will be very casual, preferably with questions, discussions and experience sharing. No computer will be necessary. The duration will take around 2 hours.
Exact venue and time will be announced at the last meeting. BYOS01 workshop participants can bring their friends along @ HK$100 each to cover the cost of venue and other sundries expenses.
Founder, Director & Consultant
KF has 38 years of work experience in different industries and capacities. His educational background covers engineering, computing, telecommunications, e-commerce and knowledge management. He exhibits strength in entrepreneurship, analytical skills, and combining digital technology into business.
BYOS is an idea created by KF, originally started in 2015 to pursue actions and practice in Knowledge Management, and discovered it is equally good for the practice in digital transformation, innovation, personal development and website or system building. His discovery was evidenced in his practice in the past few years, and decided to bring to the market in 2020 with the following principles: